Advising an older person to become active – do we know what works?
Advice from the BHF NCPAH based on evidence and published in 2008.
Key components of successful practice
· Use of a health educator and an extended consultation time
· Assessment of problem areas
· Recognition of readiness of change
· Goals agreed by both the older person and the professional.
· Recognition of the social and environmental barriers to physical activity.
· A choice and range of accessible activities including lifestyle activities.
· Supplementary educational materials and opportunities.
· Systematic support over a period of time.