‘Sit Tall, Stand Strong’ – The Chair-Based Exercise Programme for Older Adults & Disabled Adults ©
Since 1999 LLT* have trained nearly 2200 thousand Chair-Based Exercise Leaders. LLT are the international leaders in this specialist field of Chair Based Exercise (CBE) and has been at the forefront of national advances in CBE research and practice for over 20 years. They are also the expert lead on the development of the Skills Active National Occupational Standards for exercise professionals working with frailer older people and in 2012, LLT was commissioned to work with Skills for Care on the new CBE units (Skills for Care Qualifications Framework), where the Chair-Based Exercise Leader award now sits.
The updated Chair-Based Exercise course was launched in January 2013.
The LLT CBE training course teaches exercise leaders to be knowledgeable and competent in delivering the 22 exercises that make up the evidenced based ‘Sit Tall, Stand Strong’ CBE Programme.
- The 4 day CBE course is designed for a range of health and social care professionals wishing to deliver chair-based exercise to frailer older people and/ or disabled adults.
- The 2 day Intensive CBE course is designed for qualified exercise instructors and those holding a Level 2 to Level 4 Exercise and Fitness or equivalent qualification eg qualified dance teachers, sports coaches, physical education and exercise and exercise and sports science graduates.
- The course can also be accessed by candidates who have no formal qualifications but have considerable experience working with older people such as care workers or physiotherapy assistants.
The course is endorsed by AGILE, the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Special Interest group in Older People.
If you are a qualified exercise professional – your training is aligned with the exercise training framework (Skills Active/REPS). If you are a member of REPS and hold the required pre-requisites (L3 Older Adult), this course receives 16 CPD points. REPS registered exercise professionals are advised that without the pre-requisites set out by REPS, insurance may be invalid.
If you are health professional or work within health and adult social care settings – your training is aligned with Skills for Health or Skills for Care. The CBE course content is aligned with NVQ L2 and 3 in Health and Social Care. See ‘where next’ tab.
Why Choose LLT to be your Training Provider?
- LLT are a national training provider who for over 15 years have worked locally with local commissioners and service managers
- LLT tutors are all currently active within NHS and community service across the UK
- LLT are the original CBE course authors (CBE development funded by DoH 1999)
- LLT directors are internationally recognised experts in the fields of exercising and ageing and exercise and disease
- LLT are renowned for their ability to up-skill learners to a high level of practical competence for a diverse range of settings
- LLT always provide an enjoyable and engaging experience for all of our learners (see testimonials to the right of this page)
- LLT are the only CBE training provider delivering a CPD programme
- LLT ‘Sit Tall, Stand Strong’ Chair-based Exercise Leadership course is delivered and assessed by qualified assessors. All LLT staff are highly experienced expert L4 exercise practitioners and tutor trainers drawn from both Physiotherapy and Exercise & Fitness backgrounds. All have specific training in the delivery of these programmes
- Original Development Team: The CBE course was designed based on research by Skelton et al. And others, in 1999, with funding from the Department of Health. The original development team consisted of Dawn Skelton, Susie Dinan, Bob Laventure and a large advisory group. For further information, read the history.
If you are a REPs registered instructor, or hold insurance with another broker, before applying for a course with us you are advised contact REPS regarding pre-requisite requirements, this may impact on the validation of the insurance you hold.
If you are a provider of CBE training and wish to purchase LLT manuals, view our Terms and Conditions and Order Form.
Footnote: * From Dec 1999 to 2007, the CBE qualification was delivered through Leicester College (by LLT tutors and Directors) and briefly from 2009-2010 by Professional Fitness & Education (formerly Northern Fitness & Education). No one else has delivered the LLT CBE course on behalf of LLT.