Evidence based recommendations for promoting the engagement of older people in preventative healthcare. These recommendations were put together by members of ProFaNE.
The full paper is available from BMJ Quality and Safety in Healthcare. L Yardley, N Beyer, K Hauer, K McKee, C Ballinger, C Todd. Qual Saf Health Care 2007;16:230-234
1. Raise awareness in the general population that undertaking specific physical activities has the potential to improve balance and prevent falls.
2. When offering or publicising interventions, promote benefits which fit with a positive self-identity.
3. Utilise a variety of forms of social encouragement to engage older people in interventions.
4. Ensure the intervention is designed to meet the needs, preferences and capabilities of the individual
5. Encourage self-management rather than dependence on professionals by giving older people an active role
6. Draw on validated methods for promoting and assessing the processes that maintain adherence, especially in the longer-term.